By Jill Kamil
Drawing on own shuttle to the entire Christian websites of Egypt, and conversations with students, priests, museum administrators, and rankings of lay Egyptians either Copt and Muslim, the writer tells us concerning the basic value of Coptic faith and tradition in Egypt. Weaving jointly ancient examine with soaking up tales, she explores questions as:
* How did Christianity suceed in an Egypt that already had a longtime faith which had lasted for greater than three hundred years?
* What half did Egypt play within the evolvement of the early Christian movement?
* What led the Copts to increase monasticism?
* Why have been there such a lot of Egyptian martyrs?
* What triggered the Coptic Church to damage clear of the remainder of orthodox Christianity within the 6th century AD?
Lavishly illustrated with greater than one hundred twenty images, drawings and maps, Christianity within the Land of the Pharaohs offers a charming perception right into a aspect if Egypt that might be new to many readers. it truly is excellent not just for college kids of Egyptian background and Christianity, in addition to people with a extra common interst in Egypt's prior and present.
Read Online or Download Christianity in the Land of the Pharaohs: The Coptic Orthodox Church PDF
Best ancient history books
This e-book explores the a lot maligned and misunderstood style of declamation. rather than a bastard rhetoric, declamation could be visible as a venue during which the rhetoric of the valid self is developed. those fictions of the self are uncannily actual, and those stagey dramas are in reality rehearsals for the intense play of Roman identification.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2011 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, observe: 2,3, Technische Universität Dresden (Institut für Geschichte), Sprache: Deutsch, summary: „Das ganze Leben ist eine Knechtschaft. Deshalb muß guy sich an seine Lage gewöhnen und so wenig wie möglich darüber klagen, was once sie aber angenehmes an sich hat, ergreifen.
This research, first released in German in 1975, addresses the necessity for a entire account of Roman social background in one quantity. particularly, Alföldy makes an attempt to respond to 3 questions: what's the that means of Roman social historical past? what's entailed in Roman social heritage? How is it to be conceived as background?
Those volumes elucidate the way during which there emerged, at the North China undeniable, hierarchically established, functionally really good social associations prepared on a political and territorial foundation through the moment millennium b. c. They describe the way, in the course of next centuries, those institutes have been subtle via a lot of the remainder of North and relevant China.
- Philip II and Alexander the Great: Father and Son, Lives and Afterlives
- In moerassen en donkere wouden (Dutch Edition)
- The Roman Emperor Gaius ‘Caligula’ and his Hellenistic Aspirations
- The City in the Roman West, c.250 BC-c.AD 250
- The Religion of Senators in the Roman Empire: Power and the Beyond
Extra resources for Christianity in the Land of the Pharaohs: The Coptic Orthodox Church