By Philip Rousseau
- Provides a necessary evaluate of present scholarship on overdue antiquity – from among the accession of Diocletian in advert 284 and the tip of Roman rule within the Mediterranean
- Comprises 39 essays from the various world's prime students of the era
- Presents this once-neglected interval as an age of robust transformation that formed the fashionable world
- Emphasizes the relevant significance of faith and its reference to monetary, social, and political life
- Winner of the 2009 unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences PROSE award granted by way of the organization of yank Publishers
Read or Download A Companion to Late Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
This ebook explores the a lot maligned and misunderstood style of declamation. rather than a bastard rhetoric, declamation might be visible as a venue during which the rhetoric of the valid self is developed. those fictions of the self are uncannily genuine, and those stagey dramas are actually rehearsals for the intense play of Roman identification.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2011 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, word: 2,3, Technische Universität Dresden (Institut für Geschichte), Sprache: Deutsch, summary: „Das ganze Leben ist eine Knechtschaft. Deshalb muß guy sich an seine Lage gewöhnen und so wenig wie möglich darüber klagen, was once sie aber angenehmes an sich hat, ergreifen.
This examine, first released in German in 1975, addresses the necessity for a complete account of Roman social historical past in one quantity. particularly, Alföldy makes an attempt to reply to 3 questions: what's the that means of Roman social heritage? what's entailed in Roman social background? How is it to be conceived as background?
Those volumes elucidate the way during which there emerged, at the North China undeniable, hierarchically dependent, functionally really expert social associations geared up on a political and territorial foundation throughout the moment millennium b. c. They describe the best way, in the course of next centuries, those institutes have been subtle via a lot of the remainder of North and significant China.
- Das soziale System Stiftung: Band 2 (German Edition)
- Pia, Roman aus Dem 13. Jahrhundert (German Edition)
- Zwerge: Die letzten Zeugen einer vergessenen Zivilisation (German Edition)
- Das diffizile Verhältnis zwischen Philipp II. und Alexander III. (German Edition)
- Das Hatschepsut-Puzzle (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Companion to Late Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)