By Philip Henry Stanhope
- the whole and large footnoting from the unique version, set as bankruptcy endnotes, that are missing from different generally to be had editions.
- a large number of latest bankruptcy endnotes and different editorial annotations which aid deliver Mahon's paintings up-to-date;
- a supplemental analyzing record of historical and modern works in English which have been now not to be had in Mahon's day.
- Lord Mahon's prefaces to the 1828 and 1848 versions, that are missing from different quite often to be had versions.
- a brand new preface to the 2006 edition.
Long out of print, this quantity chronicles the outstanding profession of Belisarius (A.D. 505(?)-A.D. 565), the final nice basic of Imperial Rome. emerging from vague beginnings, Belisarius grew to become the right-hand guy of the emperor Justinian I in his sixth century bid to reconquer the misplaced western provinces of the Roman Empire. In an epic series of campaigns, Belisarius destroyed the Vandalic country in North Africa and the Ostrogothic nation in Italy yet finally, the exhausted assets of the weakened empire and intrigues of the imperial courtroom in Constantinople led to the undoing of the fellow and masses of his work.
The lifetime of Belisarius belongs within the choice of any library with a set in classics, overdue Roman/Byzantine stories, or army historical past. Likewise, it's a invaluable addition to the bookshelves of Byzantinists and researchers of past due antiquity and the early heart Ages.