By Serafina Cuomo
This quantity bargains the 1st available survey of the self-discipline in all its style and variety of practices. The interval lined levels from the 5th century BC to the 6th century advert, with the focal point at the Mediterranean quarter. subject matters include:
* arithmetic and politics in classical Greece
* the formation of mathematical traditions
* the self-image of mathematicians within the Graeco-Roman period
* arithmetic and Christianity
* and using the mathematical previous in overdue antiquity.
Read or Download Ancient Mathematics (Sciences of Antiquity Series) PDF
Best ancient history books
Declamation, Paternity, and Roman Identity: Authority and the Rhetorical Self
This e-book explores the a lot maligned and misunderstood style of declamation. rather than a bastard rhetoric, declamation might be noticeable as a venue during which the rhetoric of the valid self is developed. those fictions of the self are uncannily actual, and those stagey dramas are in truth rehearsals for the intense play of Roman id.
Gab es einen Wandel in der Behandlung der Sklaven zur Zeit der römischen Antike? (German Edition)
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2011 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, observe: 2,3, Technische Universität Dresden (Institut für Geschichte), Sprache: Deutsch, summary: „Das ganze Leben ist eine Knechtschaft. Deshalb muß guy sich an seine Lage gewöhnen und so wenig wie möglich darüber klagen, was once sie aber angenehmes an sich hat, ergreifen.
The Social History of Rome (Routledge Revivals)
This learn, first released in German in 1975, addresses the necessity for a complete account of Roman social heritage in one quantity. in particular, Alföldy makes an attempt to respond to 3 questions: what's the which means of Roman social heritage? what's entailed in Roman social background? How is it to be conceived as historical past?
The Origins and Character of the Ancient Chinese City: Volume 2, The Chinese City in Comparative Perspective
Those volumes elucidate the style during which there emerged, at the North China undeniable, hierarchically based, functionally really good social associations geared up on a political and territorial foundation throughout the moment millennium b. c. They describe the way, in the course of next centuries, those institutes have been subtle via a lot of the remainder of North and valuable China.
- The Cambridge World History: Volume 3, Early Cities in Comparative Perspective, 4000 BCE–1200 CE
- Apports de l'archéologie à l'histoire du Cameroun: Le sol pour mémoire (Harmattan Cameroun) (French Edition)
- Die Mochica an der Nordküste Perus. Religion und Kunst einer vorinkaischen andinen Hochkultur (German Edition)
- Marc Antoine (French Edition)
- Focus on Fortifications: New Research on Fortifications in the Ancient Mediterranean and the Near East
Extra resources for Ancient Mathematics (Sciences of Antiquity Series)